The Foundations of Leadership and Teams
Supervisors, Team Leaders, Divisional Managers, Branch Managers and CEOs will find the ‘Leadership Skills’ workshop addresses the areas of Leadership most critical to the success of the Leader, the team and the organisation. During the training, participants will gain a foundation of understanding about the principles and practices of Leadership. These insights will enhance participants’ capabilities and confidence, enabling them to be effective leaders.
During the course we will consider what ‘Leadership’ means, and what the role of the Leader entails. We’ll investigate what makes teams successful, and the Leader’s role in the team’s success. Leadership requires excellent communication, and we’ll enhance our questioning, listening, and rapport-building skills, as well as investigating some guidelines for successful meetings.
Participants in the ‘Leadership Skills’ training will gain an understanding of the importance of setting goals with team members, and how to set goals to ensure their achievement. We’ll explore methods of developing and empowering people, through training, coaching, supporting and delegating. We’ll discover how to inspire the best performance through recognition and reward, and adopt a supportive approach to correcting mistakes and disciplining people. During the course we’ll learn how to prepare for and conduct Performance Review meetings, including content and strategy. We’ll also discuss some Time Management and ‘Survival tips’ to maximise your effectiveness, as well as your enjoyment of the Leadership role.
Content and Outcomes
The Foundations of Leadership and Teams
- Investigate what ‘Leadership’ means in today’s businesses, and how it differs from yesterday’s concept of ‘Management’.
- Gain insight into the indirect control, or influence, we have over colleagues and the results of the team.
- Consider the value of working in teams, and what a team needs in order to function successfully.
- Gain an understanding of ‘Employee Empowerment’, and the Leader’s role in inspiring people to perform at their greatest potential.
Communication and Meetings
- Investigate the types and frequency of meetings we should facilitate with individuals, and the team as a group, for effective Leadership.
- Understand that good communication is the cornerstone of effective Leadership.
- Enhance rapport-building, questioning, and listening skills to ensure open communication.
- Learn how to project approachability and authority via body language and speech techniques.
- Identify leader’s behaviors that will increase team members’ trust and respect for them.
- Adopt supportive yet assertive approaches to resolving conflicts within the team.
- Understand how to successfully facilitate meetings for effective outcomes.
Principles for Effective Goal Setting
- Investigate the importance of goal setting in generating results.
- Follow guidelines for the goal-setting process to generate team members’ commitment for achievement and success.
- Adopt an approach that helps keep people focussed on their goals
Developing and Empowering People (training, coaching, and delegating)
- Discover the meaning of ‘Situational Leadership’, and how to employ various styles of Leadership for developing and supporting your people.
- Consider the leader’s role in skill transference, induction, and training.
- Discuss what ‘coaching’ means, and techniques for successful coaching.
- Recognize the benefits of delegation for increasing productivity and developing the capabilities of team members.
- Discuss the principles of effective delegation.
Rewarding and Correcting People’s Behaviour
- Become aware of the power of reward, recognition, and positive reinforcement.
- Clarify the distinction between Extrinsic and Intrinsic rewards, and consider ways of maximizing the perception of both.
- Develop an approach to correcting people’s mistakes which leads to improved performance and confidence.
- Follow a plan for ‘progressive discipline’ to address poor performance or misconduct.
Conducting Performance Review Meetings
- Understand the importance of measuring and monitoring performance, and providing formalized feedback to inspire enhanced performance.
- Adopt an approach for continual assessment, and 360-degree reviews, to make preparation for performance reviews unbiased and comprehensive.
- Explore a proven structure to the performance review meeting, with a step-by-step outline of content and strategy.
Time Management and Survival Tips
- Discuss lifestyle issues that impact your success as a Leader.
- Explore techniques to minimize time wasted in the workplace.
- Adopt a mindset which enhances your results, as well as increasing your enjoyment of the Leadership role.