Communication and Interpersonal Skills
In this course, students will learn how to develop effective communication skills that build positive interactions with others.
After completing this course, students will know how to:
- Interact with individuals who display a specific communication style and communicate using various verbal and nonverbal modes of communication.
- Identify the elements that influence first impressions, build rapport and establish credibility with others, and build positive relationships.
- Use paraphrasing effectively and provide positive and constructive feedback in a business setting.
- Identify the types of ineffective supervisors and use different techniques to deal with them, and identify the steps necessary to prepare for negotiating a raise and to resign a job.
- Identify the guidelines for communicating with colleagues, take appropriate steps to apologize to a subordinate, and use appropriate tactics to refuse a subordinate’s request.
- Respond to customers’ complaints and identify a proper way to reject a vendor’s contract without rejecting the vendor.
- Determine the nature of an organization’s culture, use the cultural network to your advantage and identify the characteristics of the roles exhibited in a cultural network, select the elements of physical culture that affect interpersonal communication, and identify the ways in which managers can build a positive culture.
Next Steps and Related Courses
Finance for non Finance Professionals
Communication styles and methods
- Communication styles
- Identifying primary communication styles
- Identifying secondary communication styles
- Verbal and nonverbal communication
- Using verbal communication
- Using nonverbal methods
First impression and building rapport
- The importance of first impressions
- Identifying elements of a first impression
- Communicating to build rapport
- Building rapport
- Establishing credibility
- Building positive relationships
- Asking questions
Building relationships through feedback
- The importance of providing feedback
- Using paraphrasing
- Providing feedback
- Providing positive feedback
- Providing constructive feedback
- Understanding supervisor styles
- Handling ineffective supervisors
- Promoting an idea
- Handling human resource issues
- Negotiating a raise
- Handling resignation
Colleagues and subordinates
- Communicating with colleagues
- Responding to a colleague’s idea
- Communicating with subordinates
- Refusing a subordinate’s request
- Handling dismissal
Customers and vendors
- Communicating with customers
- Responding to complaints
- Communicating with vendors
- Rejecting a vendor’s proposal
- Complaining to a vendor
- Understanding organizational cultures
- Adjusting to the culture
- Discussing elements of organizational culture
- Identifying organizational culture
- Cultural networks
- Using cultural networks
- Discussing roles in cultural networks
- Managing physical culture
- Arranging meeting space
- Managing emotional culture
- Using positive language
- Encouraging initiative