Welcome to “Leadership Skills for a Safe Workplace”. Thanks for joining me.
In this introduction, I go through how to get the most from this training program.
The course will take around 1 hour and it will involve you watching this video. There are also activities that need to be done and a quiz. Give yourself around 30-60 minutes to complete these.
Activities are highlighted with an orange background in your workbook and you╒ll be asked to pause the video to do the activity.
Before we continue, I recommend that you print out the following two attachments:
– The Supervisor Leadership Skills Workbook (so you can undertake the activities as you watch the video), and
– The safety or toolbox meeting template.
Now, let’s take a look at the learning objectives/goals.
Goal: To train supervisors on how to foster a thriving workplace that is engaged with safety matters, in order to reduce injuries and align staff to a safe, thriving safety culture.
You will learn:
The importance of being a supervisor and why supervisors are the linchpins in a safe workplace, when it comes to maintaining safety.
The three inter-related factors that are necessary in maintaining a thriving safety culture.
9 key skills to influence and connect with staff for better safety outcomes, so that staff at all levels feel they are able to talk freely about their safety concerns and solutions.
Strategies for planning, designing and organising toolbox talks, so that staff contribute and you enjoy leading.
1. The Importance of Supervisors
2. A New Workplace Culture Model
3. How to Connect with your Team
4. 9 Connect & Collaborate Skills
5. Toolbox/ Safety Meeting Best Practices
6. Using the Toolbox/Safety Meeting Template